HELP! WHAT DO I NEED TO TAKE WITH ME TO UNIVERSITY!?
I can’t even tell you how many times I searched ‘Going to Uni Check-list’ or ‘what to take to Uni’ online when I found out I had been accepted to go to University. There were a few lists but nothing that I felt had everything that you need. It’s quite daunting thinking about having to buy your own pots and pans, and other things you take for granted that you have at home. So I thought I would make a going to Uni check-list with everything you need to take with you to university! I have split each area in to three categories: ‘must’ – what you need to be taking with you straight away; ‘should’ – things you could leave until you get to Uni; and ‘could’ – things that aren’t essential or a luxury!
WHAT DO I NEED IN MY UNIVERSITY KITCHEN…?
- Frying pan
- Glasses (Pint and Shot – You know you’re going to need them!)
- Can/ tin opener
- Cutlery – knives, forks and spoons
- Cooking Utensils – Spatula, ladle etc.
- Baking tray
- Over proof Dish
- Measuring Jug
- Chopping Boards
- Sharp Knives – for chopping!
- Bottle Opener
- Bin Bags
- Cheese Grater
- Washing up Liquid and a sponge!
- Tea towels and Oven Gloves
- Tupperware – Lunchboxes, Tubs to store left overs!
- Vegetable Peeler
- Mixing Bowl, Whisk and Cake tins – If you’re a good cook or fancy learning to bake!
- Tin Foil and Cling Film
- Kitchen Towel and Cleaning Spray
WHAT DO I NEED IN MY UNIVERSITY BEDROOM…?
- Mattress Protector
- Fitted Sheet
- Duvet Set – Single or Double, make sure you check with your halls what size bed you will have!
- Clothes – Well you’re not going to walk around university naked, are you?
- PJ’s and Slippers – You’ll probably be socialising a lot in the evening and you will want to be comfy!
- A Rucksack or Bag – To carry your things to Uni!
- Stationary – Pens, Highlighters, note books, calculator, books, post-it notes, diary/Organiser
- Coat Hangers
- Laundry Basket
- Door stop – makes things more sociable!
- Extension Lead – You don’t know how many plugs you will have
- Electricals – Laptop, Printer, Memory Stick, Ethernet cable, Headphones, Small TV, Games console, Device chargers
- Alarm Clock – You’d hate to miss a lecture
- Things to make it personal – Photos, Ornaments, Fairy Lights etc.
- HDMI Lead to connect your laptop to the TV – or any other cables!
WHAT DO I NEED IN MY UNIVERSITY BATHROOM?
- Large Towels
- Painkillers – Fresher’s week might be brutal
- Personal Medication – The pill or contact lens solution
- Wash bag – Toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo and shower gel
- Toilet Roll
- Small first aid kit or plasters
- Nail Scissors and Tweezers
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE?
- Pack of Cards
- Drinking Games
- Drink – Beer etc. If you are thinking of going out!
- Personal Essentials – Straighteners, Makeup, Glasses
- Storage – https://www.readysteadystore.com/blog/guide-student-storage/
IS THAT EVERYTHING?
Yes! I know it is a lot but these are things you will be using every day so its worth getting good quality items, especially when it comes to cooking and bedding items. I hope this student essentials checklist helped, I would consider this as a student starter set, you will probably find you’ll need a few more bits but you can pick those up whilst you are at university. A lot of these products for example the Cooking and Bedding essentials you can buy in packs from ‘Unpacked’ this saves a lot of money, time and hassle. As you don’t have to search around for these things or transport them to your new accommodation!