Transitioning into university life means that you will essentially set up a brand-new life and be acquainted with all the different aspects of making a healthy and well-functioning environment that you had been oblivious to, before. Therefore, it is advisable that you take your parents’ or senior’s advice about how to run a home. It is advisable to pack smart and carry everything that you might need during your stay instead of having to scramble for things in a new setting!
Having said that, the list of uni kitchen essentials can become shockingly long if you do not pay close attention. Therefore, it is advisable that you pay close attention to what you would actually use from your student kitchen set. Many places also offer fully-equipped kitchens to the students and in that case, the list becomes considerably shorter. The following has been prepared, assuming that you will be moving into a completely unfurnished space!
Cookware is where your main focus should be when listing down your uni kitchen essentials. The list must contain a whole variety of pans and pots that you will need for different purposes:
- Make sure to include a skillet in which you will be able to prepare everything from sauteed vegetables to pancakes and much more!
- A deep pot with a lid is also of the essence since it comes in handy when boiling noodles, pasta or preparing any sauces, etc.
- A wok is not much of a necessity but depending on how much or how little you enjoy cooking, it can prove to be an important part of your kitchen.
Dinner Table Essentials
Whether you are eating on your own or with a bunch of friends, having a proper dinner table setup can enhance your experience of eating, albeit a cup of ramen. Therefore, when packing your student kitchen set, do make sure to include all of the following:
- Dinner plates of a considerable size in which you can enjoy everything from pancakes to dosas and more!
- Deep bowls that can be used to serve everything from salads, soups to cereal.
- Proper drinkware, from coffee cups to wine glasses and water tumblers
- Proper cutlery must also be included, like forks, knives, spoons and more!
Storing leftovers and uncooked foods items is an essential part of maintaining any kitchen, therefore, you will quickly realise the importance of different sized storage utensils. When packing, make sure that you include:
- Proper lidded containers that can store away everything from leftover curries to stews and more!
- Lidded containers for your dry ingredients like rice, grains, etc.
- Clips to make packets airtight once they have been opened
- Containers for cut vegetables, fruits, etc. that you can also carry around with you if need be
Maintaining a hygienic kitchen is of the utmost importance. Going the extra mile of preparing meals at home is of no use if you are not maintaining the right hygiene standards. The following are some of the essentials that you must include in your list:
- Dishwashing liquid for all your utensils
- Scrub for cleaning
- Liquid disinfectant for cleaning the sink
- Cleaning supplies for the prep surfaces
Baking is an important aspect of cooking and there will be days when you would want to bake fresh cakes, muffins, pastries, etc. For all those days, it is important that you include the following:
- Baking sheets
- Baking tray
- Oven-friendly ceramic ware so that you can cook and serve in the same
- Gloves so that you do not burn your hands
- Cooling racks to cool off the cookies or other baked goods
- Measuring cups and spoons for your bakes
The smallest accessories can cause the biggest problems when you cannot find them at the right time. Therefore, keeping a list of the accessories and accumulating them over time is very important. These include:
- Sieves for straining all the powders and liquids
- Extra lids for the containers
- Kitchen knives and cutting boards
- Peelers and dicers
- Blenders and choppers
- Kitchen cloth
The above is an extensive list of all that you might need when you move to uni. Simply follow the list and you will find yourself much better prepared than before. For any more questions regarding your uni accommodations and what to pack, you can reach out to us here!